Friday, January 14, 2011

Yay Fire!

I finally got to make beer again! Yay! Mel got me the propane burner for xmas and two propane tanks for my birthday. Thank you! I also purchased a wort chiller and enough ingredients to make four beers. These beers are: (drumroll please)
1. "WhyNottaWryRye" - Red Rye IPA
2. Vanilla Cream Ale V
3. Cascadian Dark Ale - or American India Dark Ale, or Black IPA, or whatever
4. Oatmeal Stout VII

With all of this new stuff I now at least have the ability to make partial mash beers, or brewing with about half grain and half extract. I made the WhyNottaWryRye the other night on what turned out to be one of the coldest nights I have had in New Orleans. It was worth it and fun. And I drank a lot. The biggest obstacle I had was trying to figure out the most efficient way to use all this new stuff. But hey, now I know the efficiency rates of my new system, and how to work out the bugs before the next brew. Here is what happened, enjoy.

 The burner and tank

 Brought the kitchen table out for a clean surface

 Mash in

 Mash temperature

Ghetto sparger

 Spent grains

Spent grains as fertilizer

 Boil!


Chill it!

I had fun.  Can't wait to have a drink of it. 

No comments: